Holiday Injuries to Avoid
The holiday season for many people means celebrations, fun, and spending time with the people they love. However, with all the busy activity, it’s easy to get injured, which is why it’s key to understand and mitigate the potential dangers that the holiday can bring. There are many ways to get injured during the holidays, from car accidents on snowy roads to falling from hanging up decorations. Dealing with an injury spoils the fun; if you’re planning on celebrating the holidays this year, here are some common holiday accidents to watch out for to ensure a safe and happy holiday season.
Common Holiday Injuries To Watch Out For
Here are some common holiday-related accidents that tend to increase in frequency this time of year that you should watch out for:
- Slip-and-Fall: There’s always an increased risk of slip-and-fall injuries when there is more baubles, decorations, and general activity around. Make sure to keep pathways clear and check for any hazards that could cause a fall, such as broken holiday decorations. If you’re hosting a holiday party, provide plenty of lighting to reduce falls and ensure that all guests are aware of potential hazards. If you’re the owner of an establishment like a restaurant or store, you need to take proper safety precautions. Ensure decorations are well-lit and in working order and all pathways are clear and safe.
- Car accidents: Unfortunately, the holidays always bring a glut of car accidents. This is because it’s the busiest time for travel, and there are more cars on the road. Whether you’re traveling to take a holiday vacation or to visit family, always be careful when driving and obey all traffic laws. Take extra precautions if you’re headed somewhere with snow and ice and always wear your seatbelt. Injuries and traffic-related fatalities often peak during the holiday season. Moreover, with all the celebrations going on there are more intoxicated drivers on the road.
- Ladder mishaps: Holiday decorations can bring smiles and cheer, but hanging them can bring broken bones and painful accidents. Be careful when installing tree lights and holiday decorations. Having a ladder accident can result in severe injuries. Use the proper ladder for your task, stick to the safety instructions, and get help if you need it. It’s not worth risking your health for holiday decorations- that defeats the point!
- Fires: Holiday lights, flammable decorations, Christmas trees… There are too many ways holiday decorations can spark the wrong kind of flame. Check all electrical decorations and holiday lights for frayed cords, and replace anything that doesn’t work well. If you have an artificial tree, identify heat sources, ensure it’s flame-retardant, and check for any signs of loose connections or damage.
- Slice-and-dice: With all the holiday cooking and crafting, there are many ways sharp objects and holiday decorations like scissors and knives can injure adults and children. Use precaution, don’t drink and cook, and keep an eye on your kids and pets.
Contact Us Today
We wish you a happy, healthy, and safe holiday season with those you love. If you do get into an accident and require legal advice, consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer at BCN Law Firm today.